Checklist of issues to consider during mediation
1. Division of Assets:
___________ Real estate
___________ Pension/Retirement plans
___________ Stocks, bonds, annuities
___________ Bank accounts
___________ Vehicles (autos, boats etc)
___________ Personal property (furniture, dishes etc)
2. Issues surrounding division of property
- Is one party retaining real estate of will it be sold?
- Will you need an appraisal of the real estate?
- How will you divide the personal property? Does it need to be appraised?
- Do the pensions need to be appraised?
- What date will you use as cutoff for values of property?
- Do you still have joint bank accounts? At what point will you separate your bank account?
- What will guide the division of property- a desire to achieve a certain percentage (50/50, 60/40 division etc. or a desire to have each party keep certain assets regardless of ultimate percentage?
- Is either party expecting a significant inheritance and is that a factor which you wish to consider in the division of property?
- Are there any assets which either of you wish to not consider in the division (for example- inherited assets or assets accrued prior to the marriage or post-separation)
__________ Legal custody- joint or sole
__________ Physical custody- shared or sole
__________ parenting schedule
__________ removal from commonwealth
__________ communication and exchange of records
__________ child support
__________ emancipation provision
__________ extraordinary expenses
__________ college and private school expenses
__________ uninsured medical/dental expenses for children
__________ review of child support
________ Alimony or waives of alimony
________ If waiver, waiver of past present and future
________ If alimony, duration and amount
________ Tax ramifications of alimony
6. Health insurance
________ Who carries health insurance
________ Family plan or individual
________ Cost of insurance
________ Will insurance be available to ex-spouse post divorce, cost
________ Does other spouse have insurance available, cost
7. Life insurance
________ amount of life insurance
________ term policy- what is term and cost
________ whole life/universal- cash value
________ should life insurance continue post divorce for how long?
________ who owns policy and who is beneficiary post divorce?
_________ How will taxes this year be filed
_________ Who claims dependency exemptions
_________ Who claims head of household
_________ Any tax liabilities?
_________ Liabilities joint or individual
________ Who is responsible for what liabilities
________ Can other spouse be removed as obligor